What is Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC)?
Software testing life cycle is a process in which testing process flows. It is not a single activity. There are multiple activities that come in the process so as to recognize any software.
Also Check: What is Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
Software Testing Life Cycle
If we design complete software testing life cycle then we will find following processes one after one in the process:
- Requirement analysis
- Test Planning
- Test Case Design
- Test Environment Setup
- Test Execution
- Test Closure Activity
Each step has its own significance in the process and different input and output. Deliverables in each stage are very important for the next stage. Let us look all stages one by one:
- Requirement Analysis: In this phase testing team detects all requirements of the client as per project. Testing team approaches many other sections so as to understand the things properly. In this phase, tests are designed that are likely to be performed. Requirement traceability matrix is prepared in this phase. Test environment details are also collected in this phase. In this phase requirement traceability matrix works as a deliverable.
- Test Planning: QA manager will scan things properly. A test plan document will be prepared in this stage that will show required efforts, time and cost of the project. In this stage, test plan document is prepared that is later sent to the client.
- Test Case Design: This phase include creation and verification of test cases and scripts for testing. Test data is also collected in this phase. In this phase, test cases, test scripts, and test data are deliverables for the next phase.
- Test Environment Setup: It is actually a test condition development with required software and hardware. This is one of the important phases in the testing process. This process should be done prior to test case application for software. Test team may or may not be involved for environment set up. Smoke test that checks all major functionality is performed in this phase.
- Test Execution: In this phase, all tests are executed as per test data and test cases. Bugs are reported to the developer in this phase. Defects are reported in Requirement Traceability Matrix.
- Test Closure Activity: Testing team meets and discusses all aspects of the project. A project is also analyzed from future failure aspects. The idea is to share things about the project so that in the future testing team gets facilitated from experience.