Static Testing | Software Testing Books
The Static Testing relies on the manual examination and automated analysis (Static Testing) of the code or other project documentation without the execution of the code. Reviews are a way of testing software works products and can be performed well before dynamic test execution. Any software work product can be reviewed, including requirements specifications, design specification, code, test plans, test specifications, test cases, test scripts, user guides.
The Static Testing means testing software without executing the code. There is two types of Review & Static Analysis. This type of Static Testing mostly performed by many IT Companies.
The review is a systematic examination of the work product of documents. It has main aim to find out & remove the error or defects from the documents.
- Improve the development productivity & time scale is reduced.
- Testing Cost & Time is reduced.
- Maintenance cost reduced.
- Improve the communication between team member.
Types of Defect Found in Review
- Deviation from Standard
- Improper Requirements
- Improper Design
- User interface issue
Activities of Formal Reviews
- kick off
- Individual Preparation
- Review Meeting
- Follow up
- Defining the review criteria
- Selecting the personnel
- Allocating roles
- Defining the entry and exit criteria for more formal reviews types
- Selecting which parts of documents to review
- Checking entry criteria
kick off :
- Distributing documents
- Explaining the objective, process, and documents to the participants
- Preparing for review meeting
- Noting defects, questions and comments
- Discussing or logging with documented results
- Noting defects & making decisions
- Fixing defects found
- Recoding updated status of defects
- Checking that defects have been solved
- Gathering metrics
- Checking exit criteria