The Functional Testing is a type of software testing where the system is tested against the functional requirements.
Functions are tested by feeding them input & examining the output. It ensures that the requirements are properly satisfied by the application. it is to check the basic functionality mentioned in the functional specification document.
During this testing, Black Box Testing technique is used in which the internal logic of the system being tested is not known to the tester.
It includes the following steps:
- Identify functions that the software is expected to perform.
- Create input data based on the function’s specifications.
- Determine the output based on the function’s specifications.
- Execute the test case.
- Compare the actual and expected outputs.
Advantages of Functional Testing
- It acts as actual system usage.
- It does not make any system structure assumptions.
Disadvantages of Functional Testing
- It has a potential of missing logical errors.
- It has a high possibility of redundant testing.